Corporate Social Media: Leaders of the Pack Become Followers Social Media Marketing | December 17, 2010 | By Aaron Schoenberger

In this world of technology-infused new age marketing goodness, there are the leaders of the pack — the innovators and trendsetters — and there are the followers. Unfortunately, when it comes to marketing tactics, many large corporations are behind the times.


First and foremost, corporations must not be afraid of social media marketing. When speaking to new clients I’m often told how important a brand is and what’s at stake, which is followed by something along the lines of: “We can’t afford to gamble with our brand on social websites and need help ASAP.” In essence, corporations have a fear of direct, instantaneous communication with customers that breeds hesitancy.


A recent Burson-Marsteller Fortune Global 100 social media study found that “79 percent of the largest 100 companies in the Fortune Global 500 index are using at least one of the most popular social media platforms: Twitter, Facebook, YouTube or corporate blogs.” My questions are: Why aren’t the other 21% jumping aboard the social bandwagon, and of the 79% using social media, why aren’t all social channels being utilized? I am campaigning for all corporations to use social media on a regular basis to promote a transparent, personal relationship with customers — whatever the product/service may be.


Corporations must understand that social media is a give and take process, and failures occur when a self-serving mission is launched. If one were to sit back, absorb information, and help customers in any way possible, there is truly nothing to fear.


Aaron Schoenberger
twitter.com/TheSchoenberger
(310) 876-0874 x1
The Brainchild Group


Aaron Schoenberger is Founder of The Brainchild Group — a Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and Social Media Marketing company in Los Angeles, California. He’s known for his work with celebrity clients, top restaurants, automotive manufacturers, professional athletes and Fortune 500 companies.












tags: corporate social media marketing consultant, corporate social media company, fortune 500 social media

Comments

comments

Powered by Facebook Comments

Related Articles